The course unit "Terminology and translation technology" (A4TV) consists of two parts.
The first part, on terminology, covers the following:
• fundamental principles of the theory of terminology (concept, concept system, description of a concept, term, assigning a term to a concept)
• neology, language for specific purposes and normalisation
Much attention is devoted to practical aspects, including the in-house GenTerm terminological record; term extraction practice; terminology management (using SDL MultiTerm); terminographical products, incl. thesauri.
The second part, on translation technology, covers the following:
• general introduction to translation technology, introduction to machine translation and its integration in translation memory tools, translation software, character encoding and file formats for translation;
• hands-on introduction to, and critical assessment of, translation memory software (SDL Trados Studio and comparison with competitors incl. memoQ; interoperability standards);
• Introduction to Quality Assurance (QA) (E.g. Spelling and grammar checking, tag verification, etc.) and translation project/flow management (calculate project statistics, measure overlap between segments to translate and the Translation Memory, etc.);
• the part on translation technology ends with a larger translation project where the students are asked to translate various file formats (Word, HTML) by means of SDL Trados Studio.